Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Seeking Sanity

Hey guys...sorry I've been a bit MIA lately I've been crazy busy trying to get things done, entertaining company from out of town, dealing with a few supplier issues etc. etc. etc. I'm totally bummed out that I haven't even been able to BEGIN work on my Halloween goodies yet, and I'm still WAY behind on orders. I'm thinking of hiring a small contingency of Oompa Loompas...I hear they are amazing workers and their tiny little hands would be perfect for the job.

I really hate having TAT so long and making people wait weeks for their orders, but it's either that or close down the shop while I catch up for awhile...and that seems to cause even more confusion and stress attempting to answer the flood of emails I get about when I'll be opening back up or restocking, etc. I've already had lots and lots of requests to re-open the Summer Smoothies...but I tell ya...I just can't do it captain! I don't have the power!! =P

We had family visiting from Canada all weekend and of course it was my job to play entertainment director. If you've ever seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding it might give you a small image of what I was having to deal with ALL weekend. Yes. Being Arabic you get used to these things...but when you are trying to run a business and deal with pushy Arabs (no offense to my family I love them...but Arabs can be REALLY pushy lmao)...something's gotta give. In this case, quite likely my sanity? Let's hope not.

So now after a really long weekend all I want to do is rest, but the orders keep mounting up and there's just no time. I've never been one to claim that there aren't enough hours in the day but I tell ya...there just aren't! 24 just isn't enough. Yes I say 24 because sleep has quite simply become a thing of the past. Shame...as I used to be quite an avid lucid dreamer.

Hopefully sometime this week I'll be able to get back on track...and eventually get to start working on my new items. I was really hoping that this would be a quiet month so I could focus on fall items but it has turned out to be quite the opposite! Oh, don't you just love the irony?

I have plans. Big plans. Many plans. But time is making a fool of me...and I'm starting to get quite peeved. There's not much else I can do besides give up sleep. If only I had a Time Turner...*sighs* ...put that on my list of things I need, right along side a Pensieve.

I also need a break from clay, so once...if I ever manage...to catch up on these orders, I'm going to do more illustration work, and other designs. I'll be working with other materials and such...as I'm getting clayed out really quickly. We shall see. We shall see. Sorry I don't have better news or cheerier things to post about. I'm stressed to the limit and things just keep managing to go wrong no matter how hard I try to do things right.

Free hugs anyone? I need them. Lots of them. I'll update again soon...once my head doesn't feel as though it's completely detached from my body.

<3 Jeanine

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwww :/ If it was me, and I wasn't getting any sleep, I would probably not take any new orders, and let everyone on the mailing list know that they're closed till you get back on track of not being sooooo busy that you can't even get any rest! Surely I would hope that people that stumbled across your website who would email you to find out when you would be re-opening, could check the homepage that could say you've been not accepting orders since 'this time' and don't plan on taking new ones till 'this time' approximately or until you start to feel the love for the clay again, haha!

It's your call, but I would totally start to despise my customers just a teeny wincy little bitsy bit if I was losing my sleep! (maybe, maybe not, I don't know!) Don't get me wrong, I'd love making the items and having new or regular customers/extra income, but I wouldn't want to risk that I'd start 'not liking' what I do because I'd be doing it day and night!

Jen said...

*hug*

I have to admit that I'm one of the reasons for the lack of sanity as I put in an order for a cupcake necklace last week. I definitely don't mind the wait, though :)

I would suggest taking a certain amount of pre-orders at one time, or offering pre-made items. As much as I would love to order dozens of items from you, I certainly understand being burned out from making all of these.

Jeanine said...

Thanks girls. =) No I definitely don't despise my customers at all, actually I love each one of them as I seem to get really wonderful customers who are very understanding when I make them wait 2-3 more weeks than they had expected to receive their items. I've done the closing down shop thing before and found it very bad for business, it's amazing how much your traffic slows down when people see you're closed. So I think it's best to just keep things open and have the TAT be longer. If people are willing to wait 4 weeks then that's awesome, if not...then ah well.s =P It won't stay this way too much longer. I'm going to be making big changes soon and adding alot of non-clay items so hopefully things will ease up a bit. We'll see. =) I feel a bit better today at least.

Jennifer April Abraham said...

::Hugs Jeanine::

Don't worry about the wait at all. Seriously, in the end it's all the more worth it. I hate being part of your stress, lack of sanity & such. I'm sorry. `:[

I'll gladly hold time in a headlock for you so it won't pass. As I'm growing up [ugh! Peter Pan, where ARE you !? :(] I realize there truly isn't enough time. You can't take a two week vacation? I bet that all your fans would definitely hate to have you going crazy.

A break from clay?! I barely got started on building my Tiny Craving Collection! I hope it isn't too long a break, but I can't wait to see what you come up with. I've been eye-ing your Lolita collection, maybe that's what you're working on? I bet everything you dream up will be fantabulous. XD

Anyway, I hope that everything gets better soon and you find time to spend on yourself.

Thanks for everything.

Take care,
Jenn

Pookie Tookie Diary said...

Wish i had some oompa loempas :( or maye Depp lol

You know i totally understand what you feel right now!
Its so hard when you have to do everything alone, thinking to order supplies on time, making jewelry, administration, Being active on other websites...

Mabey you can work only for 2 days in the week on your clay, 1 day administration ect.

Its a pity that we cant find womeone that works like yourself with clay that would be so awesome to have some help on that.

Try to get your rest at least 7 hours sleep a day. It is very important.

The good thing is that You have many orders and one day you will be able to have someone that wil works for you, so you dont have to do it all by yourself!

But you can be very proud you know!
I have days like that and sometimes i even want to give up but its not only our work but also a passion!

I am sure everything will be ok hun!

Nella